If you think you may have sensitive records regarding any animal or plant sightings please email us (address in the "Welcome" page) before posting on the Blog. We will pass all details in confidence to the relevant Recorder.

Thursday, 30 July 2015

Unidentified Moth


Found at Baitings this evening. Closest  I can find is Heart and Club,  but . . .
that is 15 - 20mm, whereas this was 25 - 30mm.

Can any one help?

P.s. I'm thinking it can't be that - I read in Yorkshire Butterflies and Moths 2014 that it lives on dry calcareous areas.

5 comments:

Colin D said...

Open To Correction Possibly one of the forms of Dark Arches http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=7124

ChrisJB said...

My first thought was dark arches too (with the caveat being, my moth trapping is still in its infancy).

Cheers, Chris

Nick Carter said...

Yep, you're correct chaps, it's a Dark Arches, a very common moth but still very nice to see. Check out the UK moths website page for this species at
http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=52

Steve Blacksmith said...

Thanks Nick, Chris and Colin.I know that one now, but will I remember it next time I stumble across one? Probably not :)

Dave Sutcliffe said...

I have just learnt to look for the whitish W on the outer edge of the forewing of Dark Arches